Thursday, August 27, 2009

Almost done with week one...

I really love muscle memory. I haven't taken step in almost a year now, but I didn't even have to think today before my body fell back into the patterns we were doing. Which, okay yeah, were the most basic intro patterns. But! It required very little attention and went well. Unlike the abs part of the class, which was a sharp reminder of just how little ab work I've done in the last six months.

But anyway. Muscle memory is fun. Math classes not so much. No, I lie. The classes are kinda fun. Even abstract linear algebra, which is a TTR long class, is interesting and fun to be in. It's just, you know, the mass quantities of homework (Proofs! Many of them!) and the frighteningly impending tests/quizzes that aren't cool. For example, here are some of my recent notes:


Linear notes. It should be taken into account that we're all learning the really weird notation as he's scrawling it across the board.


Diff notes. Partial differentials this semester! More difficult than I was anticipating, to be honest.


Stats notes. Very easy class, conceptually. And the math isn't
tricky either. Just a lot of homework on with which to be getting.


Why my life has to be consumed with things like that, rather than things like like this:





It's beyond my understanding. Truly.

But mostly, I'm just complaining. After all, I knew the job was dangerous when I took it (Fred). I asked a girlfriend to day, as we sat pounding our heads against a linear proof, whay we chose to be math majors, again? After all, there are apparently majors where you can graduate in four years with your bachelors, and still go out and like, party every night. I have heard stories of such things. It makes me think I'm doing something wrong here. (Not the not partying, which I'm happy with. But I bet these drunken, hypothetical (business!) students have time for adequate sleep too. Jerks.)

At any rate, she told me we were math majors because we're crazy. So at least there's (an explicitly defined) madness to the madness.


1 comment:

Anna Scott Graham said...

like the new blog look, great links and pics too.

miss you!! sigh... well, I knew the job was difficult when I took it, Fred.